Vegansrock

Nod your head and clap your hands, or open your mind and understand !

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Preschoolers, diseases, and unpasteurised milk

Go down 

How do you feel about preschoolers and unpasteurised milk
I do not think any preschooler should be fed (untested) unpasteurised cow-products
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
I do not think any preschooler should be fed (either tested or untested) unpasteurised cow-products
100%
 100% [ 1 ]
I think it's okay to feed preschoolers unpasteurised cow products, as long as the cows are thoroughly checked for disease if the kid becomes ill and the cows look suspect.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
I think that all preschoolers SHOULD be given unpasteurised cow products - it might toughen their insides up a bit for the future !
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
I think preschoolers should be fed a completely vegan diet, with none of that cow breast-milk stuff in it.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
All preschoolers can make their own life decisions. It's not down to parents to educate them, or to keep anything out of their way on purpose. The preschooler can make their own choice, then it's their responsibility what happens.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
I have another view which hasn't been thought of here, which I might be writing about below.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

AuthorMessage
Firebird

PostSubject: Preschoolers, diseases, and unpasteurised milk   Fri 11 Sep 2009, 10:24 am

Do you consider it inappropriate, or even unethical, for parents to repeatedly feed their preschooler unpasteurised milk while on holiday ?

(We're talking about having unpasteurised milk in every meal and assorted snacks, for 7 days out of every year)

... Then, in a similar vein, you'll get some of the people who have family farms, feeding their kids unpasteurised milk ongoingly.....
They're legally required to pasteurise milk etc. for consumer sales, but might 'skimp on effort' by not bothering with the family supply, instead "proudly" declaring to their family the (generally unverifiable) health of their herd, and the obvious lack of necessity for all that "pussy authority crap" anyway.

Some of the attitudes which parents hold towards feeding their own children, never cease to amaze me even now....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegansrock.getgoo.net
Firebird

PostSubject: Re: Preschoolers, diseases, and unpasteurised milk   Fri 11 Sep 2009, 10:44 am

When I was younger, my parents' stance was -

* I think it's okay to feed preschoolers unpasteurised cow products, as long as the cows are thoroughly checked for disease if the kid becomes ill and the cows look suspect.

* All preschoolers can make their own life decisions. It's not down to parents to educate them, or to keep anything out of their way on purpose. The preschooler can make their own choice, then it's their responsibility what happens.

I find that pretty objectionable, to say the least.
Apart from anything else, the testing of bovine herds for many diseases is sorely lacking.
For example, as with humans, there's a high rate of failure with the TB Mantoux test. With only an 80% demonstrable success rate when used on bovines, this means that after testing 2 out of every 10 TB-positive cows could have been given TB-negative results incorrectly.

My approach is radically different, being plainly and simply -

* I do not think any preschooler should be fed (either tested or untested) unpasteurised cow-products

Sometimes, certain testing approaches can be more dangerous and harmful than no testing at all, because then lots of people will think the testing is 100% reliable even if it isn't .... or will try to use it as some sort of excuse to justify poor disease control, even if they do think it's unreliable !
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegansrock.getgoo.net

Preschoolers, diseases, and unpasteurised milk
Page 1 of 1